Digital marketing and inbound marketing are frequently mentioned online – but what do they actually mean? And what’s the difference between the two?
What is Digital Marketing?
Digital marketing is a broad term for any marketing done online. This includes search engine optimization (SEO), content marketing, pay-per-click advertising (PPC), social media marketing and email marketing. The key difference between digital marketing and other forms of online marketing is that the term digital marketing doesn’t imply any strategy. Digital marketing is the how, not the what and why.
What is Inbound Marketing?
Inbound marketing is customer-oriented and customer-driven. Simply put, inbound marketing starts with valuable content that your target audience wants, instead of just advertising your services. In a traditional marketing model, you would simply “spread the word” about your business through print or online ads. With inbound marketing, you instead focus on providing valuable information or items your customers can use. For example, you might start with an ebook, a quiz, a checklist or a blog that your ideal customer might find useful. You dangle that content offer to get nibbles in exchange for a form fill or phone call, and then follow-up with more direct advertising.
This Digital Marketing Guide Will Help You Plan Your 2020 Strategy
How Do I Get Started with Digital Marketing?
If you haven’t tapped into digital marketing, or if you’ve only tested the waters, there are a few key ways to get started:
- Set SMART goals – Define what “success” is to you in order to create a strategy and metrics to measure.
- Set a blogging schedule – Blogs are the easiest ways to generate new content for your website and boost your organic SEO. Aim for between 1-4 blogs per month for a good starting foundation.
- Brand social media channels and create a schedule – You want to make sure your social channels are consistent with your brand by using icons and banners that match. You’ll also want to set a schedule for posting to social media to ensure you have regular content being published. 1-7 posts per week is a great place to start – and remember, you can post the same content across all your social profiles.
- Decide on an email strategy – A monthly newsletter is a great way to stay connected with your customers and prospects. It’s also a way to share your blog posts with your entire audience.
How Do I Get Started with Inbound Marketing?
You can start your inbound marketing journey at any time. We have an entire guide on how to do inbound marketing you can follow, but at a glance here are the key steps:
- Set SMART goals – Define what “success” is to you in order to guide your strategy.
- Define your ideal customer – Create buyer personas to determine who exactly you want to reach in the attract stage.
- Research – Once you know your customer, figure out what language they use to search online and what behaviors they take.
- Create assets – Create the specific content offers and follow-ups your ideal customer would want to download.
- Set it live – Turn on your advertising, set up automation and plan and schedule content pieces.
- Analyze – Make sure to consistently monitor your performance and adapt your strategy as needed.
Both digital marketing and inbound marketing are ways of promoting your brand online. Digital marketing is better for brand awareness, inbound marketing is better for qualified leads. It’s important to remember that inbound marketing is an arm of digital marketing and that you need to have a solid digital strategy before you can start targeting it.
* * *
How’s Your Digital Marketing Strategy For 2020?
In this guide, we’re going to walk you through the easy-access ways to get started – from making the most of search engines to buying your first online ads. All the channels will be familiar to you – Facebook, Twitter, Google, email and your own website – but we’ll give you the steps you need to feel confident you’re testing and investing in the way that’s right for you and the growth of your business.
Download the guide and you’ll also get a BONUS offer.
20% OFF YOUR 2020 MARKETING STRATEGY!
Need a new digital marketing or web design plan? We are a Minneapolis SEO, digital marketing, social media marketing, web design and HubSpot inbound marketing agency. Stop on by and get started – and while you’re here, pick up a free honey stick (yes, we love our bee-related theme).