The new year is all about goal setting, fresh starts and big plans, and email will continue to be an extremely effective marketing tool in 2015. So what goals have you set to use email to its fullest potential?
Setting goals makes it easier to measure the results of your different marketing activities, and also provides the focus and motivation you need to stick with them. If you’re not sure where to start, this article by Constant Contact’s Ryan Pinkham recommends these four goals:
1. Grow your email list
Your email list is one of your most valuable marketing resources, so continually growing that list should be an ongoing goal. Two things you can do to increase your subscriber base are:
- Make it easy for people to sign up. Provide a simple sign-up form on your website and social media pages. Require only minimal information (email address plus first and last name) – asking for detailed information up front can scare off potential customers.
- Give people a compelling reason to sign up. Tell them up front what they can expect to receive and how it will benefit them personally. It could be a free e-book, coupon or product sample, but it has to be something the recipient finds valuable.
2. Improve email open rates
It’s simple – the more people you have open your emails, the more opportunities you’ll have to impact business results. To improve your open rates, here are a few questions to ask yourself:
- Do people really want to get my emails? To build an audience of qualified leads, people who actually look forward to your emails, you should get permission before adding new contacts to your list. This can be easily accomplished with a simple confirmation email to new subscribers.
- Are people looking forward to my emails? Once you have permission from the subscriber, you must provide value in every email you send out. Make your email something your subscribers are eager to receive.
- Are my emails standing out in the inbox? Subscribers should know at a glance that the email is from you and what it contains. First, always send the email from the same email address. Second, make sure you write a compelling subject line that catches your reader’s attention and lets them know why they should open your email.
3. Increase email engagement
By engaging, you deepen your existing relationships while allowing others to get to know, like, and trust you before they may be ready to purchase from you. Engagement also allows you to stay top of mind with those who may recommend you and/or need your services. To boost email engagement, pay attention to these questions:
- Am I making it easy for people to engage with my emails? With the rise of mobile device usage, people will be less likely to engage with emails that are difficult to read on a smaller screen. Keep your message focused with one clear call to action.
- Am I providing a compelling reason to act? If people aren’t engaging with your emails, it may be because they aren’t connecting with the content you send out. Take some time to look through your click-thru reports to see which links are getting the most attention – this will tell you what your readers are most interested in.
4. Improve business results
At the end of the day, the success of your email will be determined by the impact it has on your business. Whatever form that comes in – more sales, new clients, or increased foot traffic — you should take steps to measure your results beyond the inbox.
- Am I setting the right goals for my emails? Think about the goal of your email before you sit down to create it. With a goal in mind, you’ll be able to make smarter decisions about the content to include.
- Do I have an easy way to measure my results? You’ll also want to think about how you’ll measure the results of your campaign beyond the inbox. Focus on your call to action and then determine how you will track conversions.
As you head into 2015, look for small things you can improve in the days, weeks, and months ahead. Making tweaks to improve opens and clicks could mean more exposure for your business and more opportunities to turn readers into paying customers. And don’t forget — the BizzyWeb team is ready to help you with your email and other online marketing activities. Contact us today to get started with your custom BuzzBuilders online marketing program!