It pays to be smart – SMART about your goals, anyway. If your current marketing goals are just “I want to make money,” it’s time to sit down an come up with some tangible goals.
What Are SMART Goals?
SMART goals are:
- Specific – Your goal needs to be unambiguous and clear.
- Measurable – You should define a concrete way of measuring progress toward your goal.
- Attainable – It needs to be realistically achievable for your team.
- Relevant – Your goal needs to make sense for your business and overall business goals.
- Timely – It’s important to set a time limit on goals to keep them in check.
With these criteria, you can go beyond a vague idea to something more solid. By setting SMART goals, you can most effectively track your success and ROI.
How Do I Set SMART Goals?
Let’s go back to that quasi-goal from the first paragraph – “I want to make money” – and see how we can go about turning that into a SMART goal. For our example, we’ll use ourselves. One of our core goals as a business is to attract business owners that have half-heartedly been marketing (aka, boss does it in their downtime) or haven’t seen the results they want with their current marketing. For this target market, we created a marketing checklist that appeals to their pain points (psst – it’s at the bottom of this blog post…you know, just in case you need it).
Armed with our downloadable, we created a goal:
“We want to see at least 20 downloads of the checklist and at least 5 warm leads from the checklist within one month.”
It checks off all the requirements for a SMART goal:
- Specific – “At least 20 downloads of the checklist”
- Measurable – “At least 5 warm leads”
- Attainable – Our team could use this base to create more marketing materials, like online ads and email drip campaigns.
- Relevant – Since this checklist appeals to our target market, it’s relevant to our business goals.
- Timely – “Within one month.”
Now that you’ve got your SMART goals, you can create new marketing strategies to help them come to life.
* * *
Get Your Digital Marketing to Work For You With Inbound Marketing!
With this free checklist, you will be given a new framework for campaigns that solve common marketing problems. Download this free checklist, and start building your own custom inbound marketing campaign that works!
Need Digital Marketing or Web Design help? Our Buzz Builders Online Marketing programs will get you found online. And if you’re looking at a new website, our Minneapolis Web Design programs create beautiful and functional websites that get results. Click here to get started.